Monday, November 17, 2008

Being Thankful for Freedom

Freedom is a gift our country has been privileged to have since the beginning of our existence. However, many people in our country take the gift of freedom for granted. Men and women alike have sacrificed their lives for freedom. Our country is the greatest country on earth. We are one of the last free countries that exists. There are people in this country, including elected officials, that desire to make some of the freedom that we have be taken away. I am an American! I am thankful I have the freedoms that I have.

One particular freedom that I am most thankful for, is the freedom to pray and to go to the church I choose to go to. Hundreds of years ago a group of people, the Pilgrims, left England and came to America so they can serve and worship God the way they thought was right, rather than being told how to do so. Those people sacrificed themselves. History tells us, about 50 of the Pilgrims died their first winter here in America. They sacrificed their lives for their freedom. I am so thankful for them! I am thankful for their belief in religious freedom. That is such an example to us, even today.

On this Thanksgiving Day, I want us all to remember the freedoms we have. It is a blessing and a privilege to live in this great land of ours.

To those that serve in the military, thank you for fighting and believing in our freedoms. I truly appreciate and respect what you do. You are a hero!

No comments: